North and South Ethiopia: In Search of the Ark
Below is a sample Ethiopia itinerary. Call us to start planning your amazing journey with one of our travel specialists today.
The deepest roots of humanity can be found in Ethiopia, a land raw in its beauty, spirituality, and sheer timelessness. It is a travel jewel not to be missed. Our trip starts in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia’s sprawling capital city, whose juxtapositions are representative of the country’s conflicting identities as a prominent, developing African power but simultaneously home to hundreds of tribal groups. Head north to Lake Tana, the pure source of the revered Blue Nile River where ancient Ethiopian Orthodox monasteries can be found tucked away on the lake’s islands. In Gondar, stand within the fortified walls of a 17th-century royal city, then, in Axum, roam the ruins of an ancient capital where the elusive Ark of the Covenant is claimed to have been kept for thousands of years. Fly to Lalibela and discover ornate churches dug deep into the earth where priests worship in a cool subterranean world, silent except for the faint echoes of distant steps. We finish our journey in southern Ethiopia with visits to a number of tribal groups. The Omo Valley is one of the few remaining pockets of life on earth where people continue to live in the tribal way of their ancestors. Learn about their distinctive languages and social structure before returning home from Addis Ababa.
Day 1. Depart.
Day 2. Addis Ababa. Hyatt Regency.
Day 3. Addis Ababa.
Day 4. Lake Tana. Kuriftu Resort and Spa.
Day 5. Gondar. Gondar Hills Resort.
Day 6. Gondar.
Day 7. Axum. Sabean Hotel.
Day 8. Axum.
Day 9. Lalibela. Maribela Hotel.
Day 10. Lalibela.
Day 11. Awassa. Haile Resort.
Day 12. Arba Minch. Haile Resort.
Day 13. Arba Minch.
Day 14. Turmi. Buska Lodge.
Day 15. Turmi.
Day 16. Jinka. Eco-Omo Lodge.
Day 17. Addis Ababa. Hyatt Regency.
Day 18. Addis Ababa. Day rooms until 6.00pm.
Day 19. Return home from Addis Ababa.
TRAVEL IN A POST COVID-19 WORLD
We understand that you may have concerns about travel and we wanted to confirm that we are taking concrete steps to ensure your health. Please note the following and also note that these policies may be modified as we are provided with more information regarding COVID 19 and its spread.
1. Deposits will be 100% refundable up until final payment is due
2. Our group size will not be more than 12 travelers plus staff
3. Everyone will be required to show a negative COVID-19 test result valid from 96 hours prior to departure
4. Each traveler’s temperature will be taken each day to ensure that no-one on the trip has a temperature
5. Face masks will be provided and will be expected to be worn during all group activities.
6. Hotels used on our program will be adhering to the American Hotel and Lodging Association guidelines.
7. Restaurants used on our program will be adhering to social distancing requirements with servers and staff wearing masks
8. All museums visited will be following social distance requirements
9. Buses will be sanitized several times a day during touring.
10. Hand Sanitizer will be readily available on the buses and each traveler expected to use it as they re-board the bus after each activity
11. Bus drivers, tour managers and leaders will be required to show a negative COVID-19 test prior to meeting the group and will have their temperature tested daily.
12. All speakers will be required to maintain social distancing requirements.
We love organizing private journeys as much as we love putting together our group programs. If you would prefer, a customized journey can be planned for one person or a larger group of families or friends, and we would be delighted to work with you on your dream tour that reflects your interests, your pace and your budget.