Balkans Mosaic: Bosnia, Montenegro and Croatia
September 18 – October 1, 2021
Led by Edin Ogresevic
Single Room Supplement: To be advised
We realize now more than ever plans for future travel can be a bit uncertain. We want you to feel secure in signing up for the trip now and we are going to offer that your deposit be completely refundable up until the time the final payment is due at 70 days prior to departure. Book your Balkans tour today!
Located at a crossroads of northern and southern as well as eastern and western cultures, Bosnia, Montenegro and Croatia have long been an important cultural junction and coveted prizes in the ebbing and flowing of empires and kingdoms. Our journey will uncover their complex layers of social and cultural history and allow us to better understand their contemporary narratives. We begin with three days in Sarajevo, the heart if Bosnia Herzegovina where the First World War began, and still today houses the remnants of the empires that ruled here. Continue south to the historic town of Mostar, with its stunning old Turkish houses and Old Bridge giving a sense of what this 15th and 16th century Ottoman town was once like. Set off to Montenegro, driving through medieval towns before stopping at the breathtaking Kravice waterfalls, plunging from high cliffs into a beautiful natural reserve. Spend two nights in the majestic Kotor Bay lined with baroque towns which are like a living breathing museums. Drive along the coast to Dubrovnik, the ‘Pearl of the Adriatic’, still as lustrous and grand as it was in the 17th century, discovering beautiful Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque architecture. From here we head to Split, discovering fishing villages and vineyards along the way. Spend two nights in Split, home to one of the best preserved Mediterranean Roman palaces. Spend a day at Plitvice National Park, one of Europe’s great natural wonders before arriving in Zagreb, Croatia’s capital. Once a stop on the Orient Express, where Western and Eastern Europe meets, it remains a dichotomy of old ways and new, of tradition and progress. The multiculturalism and the complexities will be clarified not only through visits to the magnificent historical sites but also through opportunities to engage with local communities and speakers representing a range of experiences and professions.
Day 1. Depart the US.
Day 2. Sarajevo. Hotel President
Day 3. Sarajevo
Day 4. Sarajevo
Day 5. Mostar. Hotel Eden
Day 6. Kotor Bay. Iberostar Heritage Grand Perast
Day 7. Kotor Bay.
Day 8. Dubrovnik. Hotel Palace
Day 9. Split. Cornaro Hotel
Day 10. Split
Day 11. Zagreb. Hotel Dubrovnik
Day 12. Zagreb
Day 13. Zagreb
Day 14. Return home from Zagreb
TRAVEL IN A POST COVID-19 WORLD
We understand that you may have concerns about travel and we wanted to confirm that we are taking concrete steps to ensure your health. Please note the following and also note that these policies may be modified as we are provided with more information regarding COVID 19 and its spread.
1. Deposits will be 100% refundable up until final payment is due
2. Our group size will not be more than 12 travelers plus staff
3. Everyone will be required to show a negative COVID-19 test result valid from 96 hours prior to departure
4. Each traveler’s temperature will be taken each day to ensure that no-one on the trip has a temperature
5. Face masks will be provided and will be expected to be worn during all group activities.
6. Hotels used on our program will be adhering to the American Hotel and Lodging Association guidelines.
7. Restaurants used on our program will be adhering to social distancing requirements with servers and staff wearing masks
8. All museums visited will be following social distance requirements
9. Buses will be sanitized several times a day during touring.
10. Hand Sanitizer will be readily available on the buses and each traveler expected to use it as they re-board the bus after each activity
11. Bus drivers, tour managers and leaders will be required to show a negative COVID-19 test prior to meeting the group and will have their temperature tested daily.
12. All speakers will be required to maintain social distancing requirements.
We love organizing private journeys as much as we love putting together our group programs. If you would prefer, a customized journey can be planned for one person or a larger group of families or friends, and we would be delighted to work with you on your dream tour that reflects your interests, your pace and your budget.