Experience the world exactly as you want to see it. Your vision. Your program. Your travel companions.
We love organizing private journeys as much as we love putting together our group programs. A customized journey can be planned for one person or a larger group and we would be delighted to work with you on your dream trip that reflects your interests, your pace and your budget.
A private journey begins by talking to a passionate Distant Horizons specialist who has expertise in the area you want to travel in. If you live close to our office, we would love to meet you in person but most of our planning is done by phone. We ask lots of questions and we listen carefully to your responses. Do you love small, boutique hotels? Would you enjoy being warmly welcomed into a local family’s home and sharing a meal with them? Are museums your passion? Do you have an interest in meeting local entrepreneurs and artists? Are you celebrating a birthday or anniversary? Is this a trip with your grandchildren? Once we understand your vision of a perfect trip, we will set to work on meticulously planning an experientially rich travel program and an unforgettable journey.
Within forty-eight hours of an initial conversation, we will send you a carefully-crafted program that reflects our over thirty years of exploring the globe. No-one beats our attention to detail, our insider knowledge and the ability to curate unforgettable experiences. Your proposal will include a detailed day by day itinerary with hotels selected and immersive sightseeing experiences clearly outlined. We will make quite sure you are in Silvia for the Tuesday market to mingle with the indigenous Guambiano people, or that you are in Axum on the right day to be part of an extraordinary monthly religious festival, or that we get you to the Khaju bridge in Isfahan at the right time to listen to a group of retired men singing Persian love songs and that, while in Morocco you gaze at more stars than you thought the sky could hold from your private camp in the Sahara Desert.
At the end of your journey, you will love your hotels, you will cherish the wonderful local cuisine sampled at a variety of restaurants and you will count your guide as your friend when you bid them goodbye. However, it’s our ability to deliver authentic experiences and conversations that you will remember long beyond your return home.
By working with Distant Horizons, you can take advantage of more than thirty five years of experience. With that comes insider knowledge, a vast array of contacts and the best local guides in the business. Travel is our passion. We would love to share that with you.
We can provide this same service for institutions and have been doing so for thirty two years.
Organizations that travel regularly with us include:
- American Institute of Architects
- American Museum of Natural History
- Archaeological Institute of America
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Association of Energy Engineers
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- Commonwealth Club of California
- Cornell’s Adult University
- Dartmouth College
- Harvard Alumni Association
- Harvard Museums of Science & Culture
- Hotchkiss School
- Ithaca College
- Johns Hopkins University
- Memorial Art Gallery
- Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- National Parks Conservation Association
- National Trust Tours
- Natural Habitat Adventures
- Oregon State University
- Princeton University
- Smith Alumni Association
- St. Olaf College
- Stanford Alumni Association
- The Asian Art Museum in San Francisco
- The Fogg Art Museum at Harvard University
- The Freer and Sackler Gallery
- The Los Angeles County Museum of Art
- The Nation Magazine
- The Pan Am Historical Foundation
- The Santa Barbara Museum of Art
- The World Affairs Council of Los Angeles
- The World Affairs Council of Philadelphia
- UCLA Alumni Association
- University Art Museum at Cal State Long Beach
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of California, Santa Cruz
- University of Pennsylvania
- Wells College
- Williams College
- Yale Educational Travel
If you are interested in looking into this option, please call us at 1-800-333-1240 so that we can discuss the program you are considering.